Thursday, May 28, 2009

AH! The Joys of Pregnancy!

I thought I would devote this post to the many joys of pregnancy that I have been experiencing. I've just read Jenny McCarthy's book, Belly Laughs, and realized that everything that she has written about is completely true and I so can relate. I highly recommend reading it for pure entertainment!



Okay, here goes:

1. Heartburn - I have experienced heartburn/acid reflux since I was 10 weeks pregnant and am coming to the realization that I will have it for the rest of my life. It is so bad that I am on 150mg of Zantac in the morning and before bed. To relieve these symptoms during the day (oh yes, I still get it during the work hours), I chew on Tums as needed. The doctor wanted me to limit them to no more than 3 a day, but sometimes I need to take more. I can honestly say that this is the worst symptom of pregnancy so far!!

2. Unexpected vomiting - Now that I am 32 weeks, I can feel that my stomach has become compressed and that I am unable to eat as much as I used to. Also to add to this, if I laugh strongly and violently (which I normally do everyday at work b/c my coworkers are very funny), I will start to cough violently, which leads to unexpected vomiting, which is very embarrassing if this is done in front of people. Don't get me wrong, I'm not talking alot of vomit, but enough to come out of your mouth and have to hold in your hands to avoid getting all over yourself. Just happened to me yesterday to be exact. It was not pretty! I also vomit every morning, not from morning sickness, but from gagging on my toothpaste. After having experienced the god awful dry heaves after brushing my teeth, I now drink some water before I brush so my stomach has something to give up. Sorry if TMI!

3. Constipation - Oh yes!! I can honestly say that I have never been constipated before or at least not this bad. I have resorted to Colace, which really helps out. As Jenny McCarthy puts it, it is like "passing Stonehenge" and she is right. Crazy!!

4. Numbness in legs - This only happens when I am lying down or sleeping. If I lay on one side for too long, my leg will go numb all the way up to my behind. Very uncomfortable. And trying to turn over to the other side is quite a feet when you have two cats laying all around you that won't move for nothing.

5. Tiredness - 1st trimester was terrible with the fatigue, 2nd trimester they say you get your energy back, which I did and now into 3rd trimester, I feel like I am back in 1st tri. I try to take a nap everyday after work for at least an hour and that seems to be working out for me.

Well there you have it! My top 5 joys of pregnancy. My heartburn is kicking in once again folks, need to close this post in search of my trusty bottle of Tums!

1 comment:

PhinneyGirl said...

I completely relate to #1 and #2! I also am on zantac150 twice a day (it is a lifesaver) and last weekend I experienced my first spontaneous vomiting, in front of friends after dinner.
I read Belly Laughs a few months ago and I agree, it's pretty funny.